survey: Tell us what you think about dial A Law.
Your contribution will make a difference.
Dial-A-Law is a library of legal information prepared by lawyers. It offers general information on a variety of topics on law in British Columbia. Dial-A-Law is a free service that is available in English, Chinese and Punjabi by telephone and on the Internet. Dial-A-Law is funded by the Law Foundation of British Columbia and is operated by the Canadian Bar Association British Columbia Branch (CBABC).
In 1983, CBABC identified a need for public access to legal information on a variety of law topics. In collaboration with and funding from the Law Foundation of British Columbia, CBABC sponsored and initiated the Dial-A-Law program, which includes legal information on more than 130 topics.
The success of this program is due to generous funding of the Law Foundation of British Columbia and the work of hundreds of lawyers who have generously volunteered their time to this program.
All scripts are periodically reviewed and reviewers are listed unless they want to be anonymous.
Call Dial-A-Law if you:
- think you may have a legal problem and want practical information on the law involved,
- want to find out about your legal rights and responsibilities, or
- want to learn more about the law and the legal system in British Columbia.
Two Ways to Use Dial-A-Law
To access the Dial-A-Law, visit online at www.dialalaw.org.
- for English, click Topics in English, select a category that you would like to read and then choose a topic. Now available in audio.
Dial-A-Law is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
To access Dial-A-Law by telephone, call 604.687.4680 in the Lower Mainland or 1.800.565.5297 in British Columbia.
After listening to the welcome message, please select a language:
After selecting your language, you may:
- press “1” to enter the script number you would like to listen to
- press “2” for a complete list of topics
- press “3” to request a brochure
- press “4” for the Lawyer Referral Service telephone numbers and hours of operation
- press “8 to repeat the message
- To disconnect, please hang up
Copyright 2016, the Canadian Bar Association BC Branch. Dial-A-Law is a registered trademark owned by the Canadian Bar Association BC Branch, a non-profit membership corporation.
Dial-A-Law English Brochure
Dial-A-Law Brochure Fax Order Form
Public Legal Education and Information Resource Catalogue (BC)