The 2011 Nanaimo Law Day Open House was held from 10:00 am to 2:30 pm on April 9, 2011 at the Nanaimo Courthouse at 35 Front Street. More than 160 members of the public attended the event. The mock trial for Hansel and Gretel was standing room only and a jury of more than 20 children found them not guilty. The dog demonstration was a huge success with more than 60 people in attendance. The question and answer session with a panel of judges and crown counsel fielded numerous questions from members of the public.
Nanaimo Law Day events included the following:
- A mock trial with a Judge presiding over “The Trial of Hansel and Gretel"
- An RCMP presentation
- Police K-9 dog unit demonstrations
- A panel of two judges and a crown counsel will answer questions from the public
- A tour of a Sheriffs van
- Resource tables and information
- A wills and estates skit with the big bad wolf