Throughout the year, CBABC proudly honours excellence in BC’s legal profession. Annual awards celebrate individual and industry excellence, outstanding achievements and superior contributions to the association and the legal profession in British Columbia.
Nominations for the Innovative Workplace Award are open until Friday, April 12, 2019.
The Innovative Workplace Award recognizes lawyers, law firms or organizations who demonstrate leadership in promoting workplace innovation within the practice of law. The award recognizes innovation and creative thinking by CBA members that break new ground for other lawyers to follow by exhibiting courage and leadership. This award is about lawyers who think outside the box and show us what is possible. Innovation in the practice of law can mean many different things:
Innovation in Rethinking the Model of Legal Services
- improving how we deliver to our clients: better access to affordable legal services; alternative fee arrangements; creative client-centered models
- creating healthy workplaces: education and support for mental health issues, fostering cultures of education, support and career development
- transforming the day-to-day practice: alternative business models, pioneering modes of staff organization and management, inventive approaches to integrating technology
Innovation in Challenging Societal, Institutional, or Historical Barriers
- promoting diversity: reaching out to under-served communities; encouraging diverse voices to speak out in the workplace
- creating access to legal services by traditionally under-served or disadvantaged client groups
- carving out new practice areas or models that bring real and substantial change within the legal landscape
Innovation in Serving the Bar
- leading in the development and implementation of creative strategies for mentoring the next generation of lawyers
- supporting and developing new opportunities for lawyers who are members of equality-seeking groups
- championing policies that support the retention of lawyers such as flexible working arrangements, thoughtful parental leave policies, etc.
Individuals, law firms and organizations are eligible to receive the Innovative Workplace Award. An individual recipient must be a CBABC member. Law firms or organizations must have a majority of CBABC members.
Congratulations to the recipient of
2017 Innovative Workplace Award
Labour Rights Law Office
This award recognizes creative leadership and innovative strategy in the workplace. The Labour Rights Law Office in Coquitlam is one of the first virtual law firms in Canada practicing employment, labour and human rights law. Through user-friendly and reliable tech, the Labour Rights Law Office delivers high quality, cost-efficient legal services to a diverse clientele. The virtual practice reduces overhead and assists clients in remote locations where there is no local employment, labour or human rights lawyer. To the extent its litigation practice permits, the firm is paperless. One of its lawyers was first to present a paperless judicial review application in the BC Supreme Court. Each lawyer has a home office with flexible hours, remote access to work computers, and a cloud-based IP phone system. There are no fixed work hours as it occurs when it is most beneficial for clients and staff, offering profound work-life balance. Staff meetings feature firm-issued Nerf-guns for fun to voice “displeasure” with an unpopular point of view.
This award is presented annually.
Presented at the CBABC June Provincial Council.
The Award is ajudicated by the Awards & Recognition Committee.
- 2016 - Spraggs & Co.
- 2015 - Health Sciences Association of BC, Rebecca Maurer (Recipient)
- 2014 - Clark Wilson LLP, Firm Recipient
(604) 687-3404 or 1 (888) 687-3404