Award Recipient for 2017-2018
The Honourable Mr. Justice Thomas J. Crabtree
This medal signifies outstanding contribution to the legal profession. The recipient is annually selected by the CBABC president. This year’s recipient is The Honourable Mr. Justice Thomas J. Crabtree, of the Supreme Court of British Columbia in Chilliwack. He grew up in BC’s Fraser Valley and practiced law there for nearly 15 years, after graduating from the University of Victoria’s Law School and receiving a call to the BC bar in 1984. Judge Crabtree served British Columbia in the Provincial Court from 1999 to 2018 – first as a Judge and then as Chief Judge. Among his notable accomplishments in that role is his work with communities around the province to support the development of five new Indigenous and First Nations sentencing courts in North Vancouver, Duncan, Kamloops, Merritt and Prince George, and Aboriginal child protection case conferences in New Westminster. Mr. Justice Crabtree was the first Canadian judge to engage directly with the public by hosting two live Twitter Town Halls, part of his demonstrated commitment to transparency, accountability and public access to information.
About the Award
Awarded by the CBABC president, this medal recognizes one or more of the following: legal academic proficiency, outstanding works of legal scholarship, significant contribution to the profession during the President's term.
This award is discretionary and no award need be granted in any given year. No more than one award may be given in any calendar year.
The award is presented at the Provincial Council meeting held in June.
The award shall be granted at the discretion of the President. The recipient, if any, will be selected by the President in his/her sole discretion.
The Award is a bronze medal on a blue ribbon.
- 2016-2017 - Tina Dion, QC
- 2015-2016 - Aleem Bharmal
- 2014-2015 - Bill Veenstra
- 2013-2014 - R. C. (Tino) Di Bella
- 2012-2013 - Eric Gottardi
- 2011-2012 - David Dundee
- 2010-2011 - Leonard T Doust, QC
- 2009-2010 - Sharon Matthews
- 2008-2009 - Judith Janzen
- 2007-2008 - Arlene H Henry, QC
- 2006-2007 - Arthur Close, QC
- 2005-2006 - William T Clarke
- 2004-2005 - Diana Dorey & Frank Kraemer
- 2003-2004 - Kenneth Armstrong
- 2002-2003 - Sharon Matthews
- 2001-2002 - Margaret Sasges
- 2000-2001 - Sandy Jakab-Hancock
- 1999-2000 - Clare Barry
- 1998-1999 - Dean David Cohen
- 1997-1998 - Randy Walker
- 1996-1997 - Penny Bain & Donald Yule
- 1995-1996 - Jeff Scouten
(604) 687-3404 or 1 (888) 687-3404